Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Soundproof Sleep Chamber or bed sound enclosure

I have often toyed with the idea of creating a sleep chamber that we could market to people who were not willing to, or could not afford to soundproof their entire bedroom. I had 2 ideas in mind, one was a canopy that was suspended on pulleys that could be lowered down overtop a person sleeping in perhaps a twin bed. It sounds a little morbid, kind of like sleeping in a coffin, but in a way I did it for over 20 years of my Navy life. We slept in very close quarters with the beds (racks as they called them) about 7' long and about 3' to 3 1/2' wide.
The other idea I had was to build a wall mounted sleep chamber where you would climb into it like a bunk bed, and then close the chamber door. This wall chamber would be soundproofed and could utilize a passive or active ventilation system for the sleeper. I like the idea of the wall mounted unit better than the bed pulley type enclosure. Think about it. If you own a 1 bedroom flat or a studio, you could incorporate these wall sleep chambers and actually have people be able to sleep over without really disturbing the primary occupant. What a concept. The sleep chamber would be soundproofed and as stated prior, would have either a passive or active ventilation system. The sleep chamber would solve the problems attributed to sleeping with headphones on or ear plugs, which as most of you know do NOT work. The sleep chamber has been used in Japan for decades in Econo hotels and with crowded areas like New York and Los Angeles where space is always at a premium, the sleep chamber might be the answer to a lot of problems.
It is an idea I have been toying with for nearly 20 years. I wish I were a skilled inventor. I would love to hear your comments and suggestions. Thanks for reading and learning together.

As Always,

Dr. Bob
e-mail: dr.bob@soundproofingamerica.com
Call Toll free (877) 530-0139